This is an alternative to the Personal Testimony. It is shorter and easier to write. It is also easier for many non-Christians to follow because they are used to hearing endorsements from satisfied customers on TV.
We would encourage you to limit yourself to seven paragraphs:
1. A permission statement: "May I share with you what my relationship with my Creator means to me?" Their response will tell you whether or not you should proceed.
2. A major benefit. Here are five to consider:
3. Contast: Tell what your life was like before you became a Christian.
4. Information: What news did you hear about Jesus and how did this affect you? Talk about Jesus. Leave out churchy words.
5. Commitment: How you responded to God's offer. Be specific.
6. Disclaimer: Since responding to God's offer life has not been without problems
7. Today: How you feel about your life. A challenge for them to respond.
by Bob Prouty
May I tell you what my relationship with my Creator means to me?
The major benefit is that I have received unconditional forgiveness from my Creator. I am forgiven for all the wrong things I have done. I'm not carrying the weight of past mistakes. I can now live life without regrets.
It wasn't always like that. A few years ago it was quite different. In my gut I knew how I should be living. The harder I tried the more wrong choices I made. My moral debts just kept adding up. I worked hard to get some credit, but just kept accumulating debts.
One day I read some wonderful news at work. A customer and left behind a booklet, like the one I've shown you. For the first time in my life I heard a life-transforming formula: three things I needed to know and just ONE thing I needed to do. The three things I needed to know: (1) my Creator loves me, (2) He knows that I have made wrong choices (3) Jesus died on the cross to take my punishment for all the things I would ever do wrong.
I saw that I had a choice. I could stumble ahead under an increasing load of guilt, or accept God's offer of unconditional forgiveness. I said out loud something like this, "Jesus, I need you. Thank you for dying to pay for all the wrong things I have done. Come into my life and show me how you want me to live."
Since then life has not been without its problems. I have made some poor choices and been hurt by the consequences of not always living the way my Creator wants me to live.
But today, Friday 7 March 2016, I am excited because of the forgiveness I've received from my Creator. May I encourage you to accept your Creator's offer of unconditional forgiveness?